Saturday, 6 April 2013

Back on the Wagon


There are no excuses or explanations so if it's all the same to you I will just carry on.

I learned a valuable lesson about not judging a book on it's cover over the past few weeks.  About two months ago I received and email from a gentleman in a city in the United Empire Emirates expressing casual interest in buying a home.  Of course, all of the much warned about  red flags immediately went up and were flapping around in my head. We all get those emails about being a beneficiary of some silly will, or the pleas to help a stranded traveler on the other side of the world, or even that you're related to some long lost King and stand to inherit all the gold in Dubai (I might have paid attention to THAT email).  So...I deleted the email from this gentleman.  And the next one, and probably the one after that.  Until one day I got an email that said simply, "I'm a real person, please don't delete my emails".   Long story short, the gentleman in question was real, originally from NS.  He flew in from Abu Dhabi on Wednesday, we showed him a house that he'd had his eye on for awhile on Thursday and we wrote an offer for him on Friday.

He will move into his new home at the end of the month.  So, when I said "valuable" lesson, I meant financially as well as the old life lesson of looking deeper than the stereotype. Thank God, he didn't give up on me and go to another agent.  If it were me, I might have.  And that is a wake up call for any agent who relies on commission.


Busy weekend around the house.  Our new washer and dryer arrive today.  Sometime today.  you would think as a dispatcher that you would be able to narrow down a delivery time to a range of a few hours instead of saying "they could be there anytime between 8 AM and 6 PM".  Really?   Good thing we arranged delivery on a weekend.  At least if I have to go out with a client hubby will still be home.  Sometime this morning we need to get the old pair out of the laundry room and clean in there before the new ones arrive.
The new ones are shiny "stainless" high efficiency pretty boys from Samsung with lots of bells and whistles.  Who knew that someone could be so excited over a steam cycle?


While the new dryer has only a slightly better Energuide rating than my 22 year old dryer, the new washer will use less energy in a YEAR than my old one used in a month.  I'm hoping to see some $$ savings on my power bill.  I will say one thing against the pretty boys though...they don't make warranties like they used to.  1 Year.  That's it.   When I bought my old laundry pair (Inglis machines, 1991) they were guaranteed for 15 years.  It's been nearly 22 and, although showing signs that they are tired, they still work and I've never had to have them repaired.

I am hoping to be able to take in some of the Home Show this weekend.  I haven't gotten to one in probably 4 or 5 years.  We need to start considering replacing our roof and our deck needs to be rebuilt, sooner rather than later.  Plus, it's always fun for me to go poking around at all the booths and to just see all the STUFF that is out there for homeowners.  Schedule is looking a little dicey for today thanks to Leon's not being able to narrow down their delivery times and I have an Open House tomorrow.   Hopefully I can fit the Home Show in there somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Luckily that man didn't give up and continued to seek for a reply. It's always good to be reminded not to be too judgmental at first glance. Good for you to have a new washer and dryer. I hope you can also start on repairing your roof and deck soon because for someone like you involved in the real estate business, you already know how important the roof's structure is to the entire house. You should contact your local roofer for a roofing inspection any time soon.

    Vinylume Inc.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and say "Hi". I love hearing from people and reading what you have to say!