Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Father's Day


Well, well.  It seems that what I feared would happen by opening up a public blog has happened.  I have found myself thinking several times over the past month of many things I wanted to write about but when I sit down to do so I realize I am no longer writing in an anonymous journal and I get caught up in the appropriateness (or more likely lack thereof) and ethics of blogging so publicly.  It has silenced me in ways it never did before while I was protected behind a persona of a username.  Over the past 11 years my readers at Open Diary knew the username and little about me in real life however they probably KNEW me better than anyone in my real life ever will.   I do miss it (and readers!) but do not want to stop writing here.  So, I guess I need to get more 'creative'.  :-)

We celebrated Father's Day on Sunday.  While the hubby was in Atlanta for work last week they boys made two batches of Jalapeno/Hot Pepper Jelly to give to their Dad as a gift.  Ben, being Ben (and the Imp that he's always been),  just had to put in an extra few chopped up Jalapenos than the recipe called for!

This is one of the few times Ben has actually let me take pictures of him.  If you've wondered why I feature Matt here more than Ben, it's not for lack of trying on my part.  Ben, like his Mom, is camera shy.

Anyway, here's Ben making his batch of hot pepper jelly for his Dad. First, chopping the red peppers and the fresh jalapeno peppers. (Matt did a batch of green coloured jelly).

Image

Then adding the canned jalapeno peppers.

Image

Ben decided to show off and popped a fresh jalapeno pepper in his mouth.  Bet he won't do that again.

Image

I think he drank a gallon of milk while I, like the Mother of the Year I am, snapped photos and laughed my ass off.

Anyway, all the peppers went into the blender for a quick whir.  Pretty much until there was nothing but juice.

Image

Into a pot with a godawful amount of sugar.

Image

Boil the heck out of it for a couple of minutes and then add the liquid Certo.  And boil some more.

Image

I think he got as much on the counter as he did in the jars.  I had to bring out the funnel and towels.

Image

Image

So there were 6 jars of green by Matt and 6 jars of red by Ben.

Image

And a happy Dad!   This was the first year we've done something homemade instead of getting the usual store bought gift.  It was fun and the boys did great with the prep and cooking/jarring.   They gave him the 12 jars complete with several boxes of crackers and a big tub of cream cheese.  He is set for snacks for a bit.  Although, maybe not...here it is two days later and one of the jars is gone already!

3 comments:

  1. Hey You! That red pepper jelly sounds pretty good! Sounds like the kids had a great time making it for their Dad...I got a day off from chores, supper made by the kids and a card. That's good enough for me :) Have a great week my friend!

    ~Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel, some mornings, I stop and rewrite instead of just running off at the lips [or finger tips as the case may be] The jelly looks fantastic! You should have posted the recipe too! You've been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for Father's Day! I'm sure Rob loved it. I have never tried either jelly but after seeing the pic.s and reading about it I think I might. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and say "Hi". I love hearing from people and reading what you have to say!