Monday, 14 May 2012

Mother's Day & the Tart


Wow, 4 comments on my last entry!  I’m famous!  I knew that it would be a tough and slow road with starting a blog but I am finding it just a touch discouraging as well.  I guess I’m a feedback type of person and I thought a blog would be more social than it’s turning out to be so far.  However, it is what you make of it and I’m going to keep on keeping on!   Go me.
Busy weekend.  I took Matthew and his girlfriend out on Saturday afternoon shopping for a tux rental for him and she was on the hunt for some shoes to go with her prom dress.
Of course, on Sunday it was Mother’s Day.  My Hubby and kids gave me three little gifts… a bag of Hickory Sticks (they know me so well!!), some chocolates, and a beautiful orchid in a small vase.  It’s gorgeous and I’ve always loved looking at them but oh my gosh the thing is doomed.  I have the worst black thumb.  I’ve managed to kill off just about every plant I’ve ever gotten my hands on.   It’s so pretty but it’ll be dead in a week.   Maybe this time will be different.

Isn’t it pretty?


Mother’s Day was fairly quiet.  I was able to get lots of laundry done and on the line (love that!).   The Hubby flew out in the afternoon to Ottawa for the week for a course for work so that was the only bummer for the day.  I didn’t want to cook so I treated the boys and myself to pizzas and donairs and we watched some shows on Netflix.
I made this really yummy Tomato and Zucchini tart over the weekend.  This isn’t a food blog but I thought that I would share because it was really easy, super tasty, cheap and vegetarian.

Tomato & Zucchini Tart

Ingredients:
1 Deep-dish frozen pie crust (I used Compliments brand)
1 medium zucchini  (or two smaller ones)
1 T olive oil
3 plum tomatoes or 1 large tomato 
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional and I left it out)
1/2 c fresh basil, chopped
1/3 c parmesan cheese (just the shaker stuff is good)
1/2 c  mayo (I used the olive oil mayo from Hellman’s)
4 oz grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
Prick bottom of pie crust with fork.  Bake pie crust at 450° F for 10 min. Let cool.
Sauté zucchini in hot oil in large skillet until tender, about 5-10 min.
Arrange zucchini in bottom of crust.
Layer tomatoes on top of zucchini.
Stir together basil, Parmesan, mozzarella and mayo, salt & pepper. Drop dollops of cheese mixture evenly spaced on top of tomatoes then spread across entire surface.  Bake at 420° F for 10 – 15 min or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.  This took me closer to 30 minutes.
I served with a side of steamed asparagus but it would go really well with a salad.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. You should have taken a picture of the donair. Where did you order it from?? Oh I miss donairs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Love Donairs too. I ordered it from a tiny little pizza joint here in Lawrencetown, just outside of Cole Harbour.
    I've got a recipe for homemade donair meat and sauce. It isn't exactly the same, but it's good. It uses hamburger. Want it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, Orchids aren't that scarey. I used to have a lot [and I mean a lot] at one time. We bought Larry's mom one for Mother's day too, at least she got to enjoy it for a few days. Don't overwater but don't let it dry out. Light but not direct sunlight. And when you water, don't water in the middle of the leaves, try to water in the pot. Oh, and the tart looks delicious! Pie crust is not my think however, it turns out like hockey pucks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and say "Hi". I love hearing from people and reading what you have to say!