Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Another day, another deal

Busy day today at the office.  Lots of team deals on the go and the behind the scenes paperwork and back and forth with amendments for price reductions and closing date changes made for a few stressful moments.

One highlight of my day was phoning my Buyer and telling her that I had her written financing approval in hand from her bank and the house she offered on was officially hers pending the closing date in June.  She is a young lady, single professional, first time home buyer and so very happy and excited.  Made my day.  As much as I moan and complain about my job somedays, moments like that one make it all go away.  Now I need more Buyers.  Or Sellers.  I'm an equal opportunity REALTOR®.  Afterall, if you are going to put a real estate sign on your lawn,  why wouldn't you want it to look like this:

Psssst....tell your friends!


I have to admit my day wasn't all peaches and cream.  I did have to tell a Seller client that the price they listed their house for was a bit outside of realistic when you look at all the stats.  They came into the listing with a pre-determined price in mind and we decided to list it at that price to start to test the waters. After a couple weeks with Zero phone calls and Zero showings it was apparent that something was not right.
An updated market analsyis showed they were way out of line with comparables on the same street.  I recommended a price drop to bring them slightly above their competition on the street, so we'll see if they agree.  I always hate those kinds of conversations because no matter how you spin it and no matter who set the initial list price, it always ends up looking badly on the agent in the client's mind.   That's why I prefer to stay away from clients who have pie in the sky expectations as to list price that the market just doesn't support.  If I wanted to  throw marketing dollars down the toilet and bang my head against the wall...well, I'd go bang my head against a wall.  On second thought...I do need to drop a few pounds...

So....do you think it would work?
Today was much better in the office than yesterday.  Our office building lost internet access again.  It all started last week when something went to heck in an Easter basket at the auto business across the street.  It really did something wonky to the power in the buildings around it.  I guess it started a death knell for our building's modem and we would get sporadic internet access.  Yesterday morning I walked in and the entire building was without internet.  Speaking of banging my head against the wall.  Tuesday mornings are Advertising deadline mornings in the local real estate world and you guessed it...submissions are through online portals.   The deadlines all came and went with no internet access.  Frustrating.     

I think that I do a good job with writing ads and property write ups.  I will admit, there are days when it's hard to figure out exactly what to say about a house to set it apart from the three other houses on the street that all look identical.  Usually when I find myself thinking "it's got 4 walls and a roof, what more do you need?" I know it's time to take a break and do something else for a while and then come back to it fresh.  Sometimes, I look online to see what other agents say about similar houses in other parts of the world. 

I stumbled upon some funny real estate ads for your viewing pleasure:
I thought this was interesting.  The property's backyard wasn't quite perfect so the
 agent photoshopped it in a bright, lucious, grassy green.  Seriously??
 
The listing write up says, "Must see the duck legs in the ceiling". 
  Oh my gosh...  you see that too right?
Oh, my home stager would be all over that like white on rice. 

Oh dear...  the parties sound fun at least.

I'm glad they clarified that....you know, just in case you had issues
 buying from Extraterrestrials or something.



Last but not least... click on the Facebook tab on your right and "Like" me.  You know you wanna.


1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and say "Hi". I love hearing from people and reading what you have to say!